Monday, March 24, 2014

ARCHI-TOONS™: Yep, its a Registered TM so don't even think about it

I am an architect. I don't remember why I chose this profession on career day in high school and I certainly had no idea what a wonderful adventure it would become. Maybe at the time it was an art job that seemed safe and dignified. Maybe it was that my dad had aspired to be the same but money and college didn't work out for him as he had planned. Maybe it was Mike Brady.  Maybe it was my fort built above girl level in the cedar tree in my backyard. Or maybe it was because I thought I could make the world a better place by giving people better public and private  environments in which to dwell, work and function. Maybe I don't remember…but one thing of which I am certain:  I love what I do.   

I love being an architect. I love all things architecture and architectural. I even love the study of the history of architecture but this long term infatuation is not to be confused with obsession. The simple fact is that the architect is academically instructed and professionally trained to be an observer of life. It is an attribute that can't be turned off once it is turned on; it can only be temporarily suppressed by sheer will power or medication.

I have chosen to channel my continuous live input of raw environmental data into a graphic exercise called ARCHI-TOONS™.  Cartooning, I have found, is not only therapeutic but can function as an effective method of communicating social commentary, cultural observation or just plain old funny stuff.  Twenty years in the path and practice of the architectural profession, in large offices and small, have provided me with ample fodder of the plight, struggles, idiosyncrasies, and daily experiences of the architectural profession as well as the design and the construction industry.   

Archi-toons was never conceived to be a running comic strip. Although the entertainers throughout the pages of Archi-toons are varied and at times eccentric, there are a few characters that are intertwined throughout these pages. The stereotypical professional, the academic role model, the public's perception of our craft and many icons of our industry are all "celebrated" in the broadest sense of the word. 

I know that ARCHI-TOONS™ will bring a smile to your face and a thought to your mind. I love what I do but I also need to get some billable time in for this month so I need to go. There will be more Archi-toons to come because I can't stop them if I tried. Please feel free to drop me an email and tell me what you think.  

Thanks for visiting and come back often!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment